©2024 V.J. Allison Art. All Rights Reserved. NO USE PERIOD!

©2024 V.J. Allison Art. All Rights Reserved. NO USE PERIOD!
©2024 V.J. Allison Art. No use without written permission from designer.

Sunday, July 7, 2024

Everything is Coming Up "Aces" - The Second Annual Lunenburg County Pride Parade

Demisexual Pride Flag with "Happy Pride Week"
Facebook cover I use for my profile. It's the Demisexual Flag. More on that later on.

Today marked the official start to the second annual Pride Week in Lunenburg County, although people from Queens and Shelburne counties were there, as well as Halifax.

We had a lot of fun last year as spectators. I saw a lot of great people I knew, and met a lot I hadn’t.

This year was a bit different. Instead of sitting with my husband and son, watching the parade, I decided to participate as an independent walker, showing off my pen name and how I was a part of the community – more on that later! 

Before I describe the day, I want to send a huge THANK YOU to Lunenburg PRIDE – Lunenburg Co. for hosting and organizing this week’s long list of fun events for all ages!

South Shore Public Libraries hosted a “make your pride sign” in the parking lot for Gow’s Home Hardware, which is on High Street, and across from the Lunenburg Campus of the Nova Scotia Community College – where the floats for the parade were being lined up and more. I made a sign using my still rusty drawing skills (no one cared about how pretty the art was, as long as we had fun!) with my pen name on it, with a rainbow, and a lot more. It hung around my neck while I walked, so people could see it. It didn’t always show but it was still fun to wear it and show my pride of being me.




A huge THANK YOU to the Bridgewater Police Department for looking out for all of us today. All of my fellow walkers and the officers know what I’m talking about.

One person from the library was really kind to me, talking to me and asking me if I was published yet, and if she could find my books online. MARILYN – THANK YOU! It was really nice to be included and make a new friend, one who accepts all of us in the community and more unconditionally. She and I walked together, chatting and having fun with the rest of the walkers. I loved it!

Of course, my son and husband were watching from the sidelines and my son was so excited to see me. He was yelling and laughing so loudly that others were smiling and clapping at him. It was awesome.

Once we left the “sensory free zone” (no music or loud noises for people with auditory sensitivities and younger children), the Bookmobile (our mobile library) started cranking out the tunes – mostly queer artists like Elton John, Queen, and Lady Gaga. Every time we had to pause for a few minutes – like the gent from the local Lion’s Club’s mini tractor stalling at least once – we’d dance in place, talk with the spectators, wave our pride flags and so much more.


The trek itself started on High Street, went down Empire Street toward the LaHave River, and turned right on King Street to end at the bottom of Dufferin Hill, just past Wonderland Milkshake & Smoothie Bar.

How appropriate that “Born This Way” by Lady Gaga was played at one point… You do not have to listen to dance music to appreciate just how talented Lady Gaga truly is, and appreciate that particular song. It is one that resonates deeply with me, for several reasons… I’m Indigenous. I was born that way, and I’m proud to be an Indigenous Canadian woman… I’m proud to be neurodivergent. I’m also proud of how far I’ve come as a person, a mom, a wife, and an author, as well as an ultra-rusty artist.

That said…

Today wasn’t just our second annual Pride Parade and my first ever public appearance as V.J. Allison at any event in our area…

It was my official public coming out as Asexual, notably Demisexual.

I proudly wore my asexual flag as a cape and it flittered around me as I walked the parade route.

Asexual flag with the caption of "HAPPY PRIDE!"

It was such a freeing feeling to do that, to show the world I am Proudly Asexual!

Definition of Asexual from Healthline (https://www.healthline.com/health/what-is-asexual)

Someone who is asexual experiences little to no sexual attraction.

Sexual attraction, in basic terms, means you find a specific person sexually appealing and want to have sex with them.

Asexual people, who might use the term “ace” or “aces” for short, typically don’t experience sexual attraction or want to pursue sexual relationships with other people.

That said, being asexual means different things to different people.

Some people might only experience sexual attraction in very limited circumstances. For example, someone who is demisexual — which some say falls under the asexual umbrella — experiences sexual attraction only when they experience a deep connection.

To put it another way, they might only feel sexually attracted to people in the context of a loving romantic relationship.

Some people might not experience any sexual attraction and still choose to have a sexual relationship.

To put it simply, everyone has a different experience with being asexual, and there’s no single way to be asexual.”

We aces weren’t really included with anyone because a lot of people do not understand how someone doesn’t experience attraction toward another person of the gender(s) they prefer. So being accepted by the rest of the LGBT+ community is a huge thing for us. It seems that our fellow queers love and appreciate us, just like we love and appreciate them and their support.

I honestly didn’t realize I’m ace until recently, and when I clued in, it was a relief. Yes, I think there are beautiful people out there, lots of them, but I am not attracted to celebrities or want to have “relations” with them like others do. I’m perfectly happy not experiencing anything like others do, and happily romantic with the spouse.

I was born this way and dammit, I love being me.

I also love knowing I’ve helped other people in the community somehow, somewhere along the lines.

On King Street, a group of teens asked me if my flag was the asexual one, and they got excited when they realized they had met a cis woman who was asexual – like they are. We chatted for a bit and walked across the Old Bridge together, toward the mall. It was so wonderful to meet them, and I hope to see them again in the future. Maybe at next year’s parade or another event. (Much love to all of you, thanks for walking with me after the parade!)

I’m exhausted, burned to a crisp (I do not tan, I fry in the sun!), and ready to crash but all in all, it was an almost perfect day. The only thing that could have ruined it was more rain… Or the sun coming out. It was hot walking the route, temperatures were over 25 C and with the humidex/heat index, it felt closer to 30 C. I felt so bad for the one person walking in their full costume, a really sweet person who I had the luck to say hi to and walk with during the parade. I was hot just wearing jeans, a t-shirt and my flag. Thank heavens the organizers were handing out tons of water, and I had some with me from home!

Sunburned, and it's only getting redder!

A huge thank you to the following groups for making our second annual Pride Parade a success, and tons of fun!

 

South Shore Public Libraries

Bridgewater Town Police

Bridgewater Fire Department

Municipality of the District of Lunenburg

Halifax Pride

Town of Bridgewater

Wonderland Milkshake & Smoothie Bar

And so many more!!!

 

And a huge thank you to Lunenburg PRIDE – Lunenburg CO. for organizing and hosting this fun and amazing event!

I can’t wait until next year!

I leave all of you with a song that always resonated loudly with me… Born This Way by the great Lady Gaga – who is also LGBT+ and a fellow chronic pain warrior!

Happy Pride Week, Lunenburg County!



No comments:

Post a Comment